Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Beginning

If everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I? It seems that everyone I know is on the bloggin' bandwagon, so I'm jumping on. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with this thing daily like my friends and better half does, but we'll see what happens.

Today is my day off. I usually work fifty plus hours a week as operations manager at a pet supply store. The job shouldn't be as stressful as it is, but my boss is abso-fucking-lutely crazy. He is the most forgetful man I have ever met, he refuses to learn certain aspects of the job, (probably because he'll just forget how to do it immediately), and when he talks, he goes on and on and strays so far off the original subject that nobody knows how we got there or what the original point was. You'll hear more about him later, I'm sure. I don't want to think about work on my day off.

So, today I spent a few hours working on a flier for my job. Dammit, there it is again. My job. There is no escape. The flier is to help recruit new dog trainers for our store. You see, our two trainers that we had just quit, and for this particular company training is a big deal. Anyone who has worked retail knows that there is always something that is being pushed to sell or else your store gets an ass reaming for not meeting your goal. This certain something may be convincing people to sign up for a credit card with your store's logo on it, preordering an item in your store, or signing people up for some kind of discount card, but for this place it is all about the training. So, a few weeks ago I made a flier for a parking lot event for my store which everyone seemed to like well enough, so I was asked to make another one trying to get applicants in to fill the void that our previous two dog trainers left behind.

Seriously, enough about work. A few weeks ago, a package was delivered to my store. Fuck. I can't believe how much crap revolves around that place. Anyways, a package is delivered. Inside is a few DVDs that we sell about, you guessed it, dog training. Along with these DVDs on how to properly train your animal was a copy of Harold and Maude. Strange movie to be getting in for a pet store, I thought. I called the vendor and it was indeed a mistake on their part, but she tells me to just keep the movie as it wouldn't be worth the hassle to send it back. I am no fan of Harold and Maude, so I leave it on the desk for someone else who may want to watch it. It sits on the desk for about a month so I finally take it thinking there must be some sucker willing to exchange this movie for another DVD. I first venture out to Target hoping to make a trade for Charlie and the Chocolate factory. My fiancee and I went with our friend Rob to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean flick last weekend and ever since I have felt the need for more pirates and Johnny Depp in my life. Neither of these cravings are new or odd for me but they have been particularly strong this week. So, Depp as Wonka is what I need to come back with today. I take the Harold and Maude in to Target and she scans the DVD, throws it back at me and says, "We don't even carry this. Sorry." What a bitch. She tells me to try Wal Mart. Fine, I feel less like a scum bag trying to scam Wal Mart anyways. I go into the evil establishment and ask the white trash customer service lady if I could exchange my crappy DVD for a good movie. She says, 'Sure', and I go back and look at their selection. For such a gigantic store, they had a tiny and shitty selection of movies. I guess everyone that shops at Wal Mart only wants to own Basic Instinct 2. I mill around for a while, and after not finding Chuck and the Chocolate Factory, I opt for another DVD which I will not mention due to the fact that it's embarrassing. I bring my choice back to white trash and she scans the Harold and Maude to which she says, "We don't carry this. This came from somewhere else." Fuck me. What kind of horrible place full of dark magic did this curse of a DVD come from? I took my crappy DVD back and decided to just go see how much in trade I could get for it at the Movie Trading Company. I guess I just wasn't cut out to be a scam artist. Oh well. I get $3.50 in trade for this thing so I only have to pay nine bucks for the Charlie. Good enough. Time to go home.

2 Comments:

Blogger 4 Non Blogs said...

Maybe the "V" in this DVD stands for voodoo! It'll be like the monkey's paw or some shit. You can't get rid of it and will be cursed to a life of cheesey 70's films.
Now you just have to trick someone into asking for it.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Mob said...

Yet if you'd walked in with a pillowcase full of Best Buy merchandise, they'd have done an exchange without blinking.

Wal-Mart sucks.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home