Sunday, November 05, 2006

Honeymoon Part 1

Now that there is no wedding looming and the housework can slow down a little, I am going to have a chance to write a bit more regular here. Anyways, here's the honeymoon.

Sunday we got up from our overnight stay at the very nice Adolphus hotel in downtown Dallas and drove down to Austin. We got there a little too early to check in, so we pulled into one of the wife's historic barbecue places for lunch. I go and use the bathroom and there's a customer in there inching his way to the door as there is a strange man at the sink talking to him. The customer breaks free, and as I go to wash my hands the guy starts in on me. Something about how the restaurant is short handed and this is his seventh day straight working and he might just have to quit if they don't respect him. "Sounds great!" I say and dash out the door to the table. I tell the wife about my new friend, we order our food and some beer, and she goes to use the facilities herself. While she's away, the guy comes out of the bathroom, spots me, and walks over and starts talking sports. "Uh-huh." I reply to whatever it is he just said and stare really hard at the local newspaper we grabbed on the way inside. He gives up, realizing that I am not the "someone new" his psychic friend told him about and he pushes his cart of bathroom stocking gear away from me and out of my sight.

After lunch we go and check into the motel. The sign above the main office looks like a giant penis with the words "Austin Motel" going across it. We get our room, which was small but cozy, and hang out for a little while to relax and watch a little bit of Beetlejuice on television.

That night we go to a really nice little restaurant called Hudson's on the Bend, which is famous for their odd selection of meat entrees. We started with an appetizer called the Creature Feature, which was five different animals on one plate each served with it's own dipping sauce. There was salmon, duck pate, venison sausage, alligator, and kangaroo. All of these animals died for a tasty purpose except for the kangaroo. It was like beef jerky that was spit on, dipped in a bag of salt and served. Absolutely horrible. The rest of the evening, on the other hand was excellent. The wife had venison and I had lamb, after which we drove back to the motel to call it an evening.

More on the honeymoon to come.

Oh, and yesterday I shaved my head. I'll have to ask Skincarver where to get my membership card.

2 Comments:

Blogger 4 Non Blogs said...

I can mail you one, but I need pictures first.

Mmmmm....spit & salted 'roo. My favorite, mate!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Corinthian said...

The wife put some pics up on her blog.

I think I'll go as a magic 8 ball for Halloween next year.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home