Sunday, August 20, 2006

Interview Hell

Yesterday the boss man and I were doing interviews for a couple of positions up at the store. One is worth mentioning.

This young girl, probably about sixteen, comes in and we go and sit down in the break room. I look over her application and notice that she has not listed any prior work experience. I ask if this is going to be her first job and she tells me that she actually worked at a Braums slinging ice cream for all of a month. When inquiring why she left, she proceeded to tell me that she didn't like the customers. She had to deal with demanding and mean people, which she couldn't handle, so she quit. I was picturing some irate fat man at the ice cream counter screaming till he was red in the face, "I SAID TWO SCOOPS DAMMIT! TWOOO!" I then explained to her that we get a variety of assholes every day and that she would be the first one they go to as a cashier. She assures me that she would be able to handle it. I move on.

We talk for a while about this and that and I ask her what her hobbies are and what she likes to do in her spare time. She instantly blurts out that she does not feel that she is in the right place to have a boyfriend at this particular time and that she dated a guy for a couple of weeks but they broke up, though they are now still friends. I wondered for a second what I had actually asked. I move on.

She expresses some interest in taking care of animals so we proceed into the following conversation which spirals downward until I felt as though I was talking to a child.

Me: "Are there any animals you are afraid of?"
Her: "Dogs. I'm scared of dogs."
Me: "You realize that this is a pet supply store and people bring in their dogs quite often."
Her: "I know. I'm not afraid of small dogs."
Me: "Some people bring in big dogs. A lot."
Her: "Oh."
Me: "Is there any other animal that makes you uncomfortable?"
Her: "I like small fuzzy animals."
Me: "What about reptiles?"
Her: "As long as they stay in their cage. I don't like snakes."
Me: "We don't sell snakes."
Her: "I went to a pet store once and they were selling poisonous snakes."
Me: "No they didn't."
Her: "Yes they did. I saw them. They were the red and black and yellow kind. They're poisonous."
Me: "The coral snake is poisonous, but the king snake is not. They look almost identical."
Her: "I still don't like snakes."
Me: "I saw Snakes On A Plane last night."
Her: "Do you ever let the cats out and play with them and pet them?"
Me: "No."

At this point I started to look around for the hidden cameras.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mob said...

Cameras are a great idea, then You Tube for mass consumption of the idiocy you have to deal with.

8:02 AM  
Blogger 4 Non Blogs said...

Hell man...that made me spit water thru my nose.

Maybe she thought only small dogs and other "small fuzzy animals" actually shopped there.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahhaha that's awesome!! how the fuck are you gonna be scared of dogs and apply at petsmart? how are all of the newbies doing? not as amazing as i was of course haha just kidding but really tell me what's been going on here's my email lw1212@txstate.edu

7:16 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

It's amazing what people will tell you in interviews.

I once interviewed someone for a retail position and when I asked why they left their last job I was told the building was too cold and they left the job before that because the building was too hot. I was also treated to a far too detailed explination of their recent nasal surgery. Too much information.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home