Thursday, August 17, 2006

Kick it one time, boy

By request, here's the Vanilla Ice story.

Back around 1999 I was a young art school student in the Dallas area working at a Wherehouse Music in the evenings and on weekends. One particular evening, right when we were about to close, this guy with short blonde hair and forearm tattoos brings a stack of gangsta rap CDs to the front counter. I start ringing them up, scanning Ice Cube, NWA, Dr. Dre, etc. and give his total to him. He hands me his credit card and asks, "Just out of curiosity, how's the new Vanilla Ice album doing?"

"The Hard to Swallow album?" I ask as I'm swiping his card. "It's doing as well as could be expected. We're not selling any because Vanilla Ice sucks and should be destroyed."

"Have you heard any of it?" he asks.

"I've heard the 'Ice, Ice Baby' re-make that he did on the album. I don't like Limp Bizkit either." I reply.

He kind of laughs, signs his credit card receipt, grabs his shit, and leaves with his buddies in tow. He was the last customer so I turn to my manager standing by the door and tell him to lock up. His jaw was on the floor. "That was him, you know." He tells me.

The funny thing is that I didn't know. I still had the image of him from 1990 with the Ace Ventura hair and 'Word to your mother' on his glittering jacket.

Woops.

The next time I saw him was years later while I was drinking at the bar inside the art house theatre I used to manage. One of my employees ran over and told me that Vanilla Ice bought a ticket to Step Into Liquid, a surf documentary we were showing. "I've already met him." I said cool as ice as I watched him pass by the window into the theatre.

5 Comments:

Blogger 4 Non Blogs said...

I love that story so much that I would ATM with it.

My version is slightly better. The gun battle in the parking lot gives it a cinematic appeal.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Corinthian said...

If there was to be a movie, there would be caps a bustin'.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Mob said...

I've never had any real brushes with fame in which I got to make the celebrity feel bad about themself.

I did get to meet Ben Stein once, though. He was every bit as cool and monotone as you'd expect.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Corinthian said...

I think the celebrity most worth mentioning that I have met was Owen Wilson. He was very cool. Of course, I think he was stoned, but still very cool.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Ellen Aim said...

For me it was Parker Posey. She was WASTED and there was no doubt about it!

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home